Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Counting the cost

Counting the cost

I thought it might be an interesting/horrifying exercise to figure out how much it costs to even get to the start line to attempt a Channel crossing. Quite a few people have asked about it so it started me thinking.

On the face of it, it costs about £2,000. That's £1,750 for the boat and pilot, and the remainder for admin fees in relation to the application.  But what about the hidden costs?

From January I have been training with Wandsworth Masters, Spencer Swim Team, the Serpentine Swim Club and also swimming at my gym. Combined fees for Jan-July (inclusive) of around £700. Plus babysitting fees of £600 to allow me to get to all those sessions! Then kit and accomodation in Dover (for training and for the attempt window) is another £1,000.
All in, I reckon around £4,300, which is far less horrifying than I had feared. After all, it's less than the cost of a good bike and race wheels, which seems to be Matt's yardstick for measuring any costs (the alternative of a term's private school fees is too depressing a yardstick).

No comments: